The Department of Medicine’s research initiatives includes multiple areas of biomedical research. We have a number of nationally and internationally recognized basic, clinical, and translational researchers who have made major contributions in all areas of internal medicine.
SPORE Alliance Aims to Improve Prevention, Care of Deadly GI Cancers
Through SPORE, researchers from across the University are working to improve the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of a deadly group of diseases within the Commonwealth: gastrointestinal (GI) cancers. In fact, Kentucky leads the nation in colorectal cancer diagnoses and possesses a high rate of colorectal cancer mortality compared to other U.S. states. Other GI cancers such as pancreatic cancer are also common in the region. Rest of the story here.
SPORE Alliance Internal Medicine Team Members
- Lowell Anthony, MD, Division Chief – Department of Internal Medicine
- Terrence A. Barrett, MD, Professor – Department of Internal Medicine
- Aman Chauhan, MD, Assistant Professor – Department of Internal Medicine
- Mark Dignan, PhD, MPH, Professor – Department of Internal Medicine
UK-AARC: An Alliance Reflecting the Strength of UK’s Aortic Research
Support from the Alliance Research Initiative enhances UK-AARC's research on aortic diseases by promoting two-way conversations between basic scientists and clinical researchers.
Twenty years ago, University of Kentucky researchers Alan Daugherty, PhD, DSc, and Lisa Cassis, PhD, stumbled into a research method that contributed greatly to UK’s cardiovascular research growth.
Together, they found a way to develop aortic diseases using an animal model that has now become a widely used approach to study aortic disease. This aortic disease model has been used not only to understand how the disease forms, but also as an avenue to study promising new therapies. As a result, the impact of their cardiovascular research grew and attracted high-level faculty to UK. Their group expanded, establishing a framework for the unified team they lead today. Rest of the story here.
UK-AARC Alliance Internal Medicine Team Members:
- Fred de Beer, MD, Professor – Department of Internal Medicine
- Hong S. Lu, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor – Department of Internal Medicine
- Preetha Shridas, PhD, Research Faculty – Department of Internal Medicine
- Vince Sorrell, MD, Professor – Department of Internal Medicine
- Venkat Subramanian, PhD, Assistant Professor – Department of Internal Medicine
- Lisa Tannock, MD, Professor – Department of Internal Medicine
Please visit our divisions' research pages for further information.
In addition to the resources of the Department of Internal Medicine, UK offers a number of programs and resources to enhance the development and productivity of research and graduate-level training. Listed below are web links describing these resources: