The UK HealthCare Interventional Pulmonology (IP) Program is the only program in Lexington, Kentucky which provides comprehensive services to individuals with a wide variety of airway and lung disorders.
The IP Program is a collaborative effort between Cardiothoracic Surgery, Hematology, Oncology, Infectious Disease, and Rheumatology to provide individuals with access to the newest technologies available for minimally-invasive procedures for the comprehensive and effective treatment of airway and lung disorders.
We provide rapid access to diagnosis of lung disease using advanced equipment and expertise. In addition to the various lung diseases we treat, we are able to diagnose and stage lung cancer in the same procedure working with a multidisciplinary thoracic oncology team in UK's Markey Cancer Center, the only National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated cancer center in Kentucky.
Advanced Diagnostic Bronchoscopy
- Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy for diagnosis of lung nodules
- Linear endobronchial ultrasound for lung cancer staging and lymph node biopsy
- Radial endobronchial ultrasound for the diagnosis of lung mass and nodules
- Narrow band imaging and autofluorescence bronchoscopy
Therapeutic Bronchoscopy and Interventional Pulmonology
- Rigid bronchoscopy
- Foreign body removal
- ND YAG laser for photoresection of malignant central airway obstruction
- Endobronchial electrosurgery for tumor destruction
- Argon plasma coagulation
- Cryotherapy for bronchial lesion
- Brachytherapy for airway tumor destruction
- Balloon dilatation of airway narrowing
- Airway stent insertion for airway narrowing
- Endobronchial steriod injection
- Endobronchial valve replacement
- Management of tracheostomy tubes
- Bronchothermoplasty for severe asthma
- Transtracheal oxygen catheter placement
- Bronchial thermoplasty for severe asthma
- Ultrasound guided thoracentesis for pleural effusion
- PleurX catheter insertion for malignant pleural effusions
- Medical thoracoscopy for pleurodesis and undiagnosed pleural effusion
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (859) 323-9555 or fax information to the Markey Cancer Center coordinator at (859) 323-2241.